Kitchen (Nearly) Disaster

Thought I'd share a near disaster that took place yesterday:

I was in the kitchen frantically trying to make dinner for both a woman at our school who has cancer, and Robby and me. I ended up cooking two different things because I had a ton of hamburger meat and was browning meat for spaghetti sauce and mixing in spices for taco meat. The stove was covered with pots and messy spoons, so I had placed a paper towel down on which to lay the spoons.

I turned my back to rinse something off in the sink, and when I turned around to continue stirring the spaghetti sauce, the paper towel was on fire! I didn't know what to do! I mean, I knew I needed to get the fire out, but it was so quickly burning up the paper towel and getting bigger and bigger and bigger. I just stood there trying to decide if I should pour water on it or pick it up or what. I didn't want to ruin all my food I had been making, but obviously I had to do something. I have never experienced really being stunned before - but stunned I was. I was like the idiot person on the movie who isn't reacting the way she should be, and the entire audience is yelling, "Grab the towel!"

I finally came to my senses (it really was probably only a second that I stood there), grabbed the paper towel (which, by the way, caused the fire to move even faster), threw it in the sink and turned the water on. Little pieces of black, burnt paper towel floated up into the air. Luckily, the spaghetti sauce was safe, and Robby didn't comment on the tacos tasting smoky at all.

I just realized that the fire alarm didn't go off, though. Wonder what it would take to set it off. I would surely want to be awakened if a fire of that size was occurring in my apartment while I was sleeping.

Well, another disaster avoided. Have a safe and fire-free day!

Comments

  1. I've experienced that frozen, stunned feeling--knowing I need to do something but my mind can't function to tell me WHAT.

    I'm glad your brain unfroze in time! Maybe you should have Robby or maintenance check to see if your smoke alarm is functioning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts