Plant and Learn

Apparently, there are many plants and flowers that are quite poisonous to cats. While researching a couple of new plants we bought, I found out that many of our backyard plants fit this problem. Fortunately, most of the plants must be ingested in pounds to really have an effect, but there are a couple that are a big no-no for any cat owner. The lantana we recently purchased can be fatal to cats even in small amounts, and the bird of paradise can also have quite a negative effect if the berries are eaten, though not necessarily fatal. Calla is completely uninterested in the bird of paradise plant, which is lacking any berries at the moment, so we'll leave that one for now. However, the lantana was destined to be her lunch if we did not move it. I dug it up yesterday and am waiting to see if I can find it a new home. We replaced the unwanted (but lovely) plant with two new ones that are quite cat friendly. Good thing, too, because I saw Calla eat an entire leaf off of one of them before I could stop her. Crazy cat. Want to have the list for yourself? The Cat Fancier's Association has put a lengthy one together. (I am not part of this association, in case anyone was wondering. I am not that cat crazy.) Check it out at http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html.

Comments

Popular Posts