Work

Yesterday I spent the day getting things done around the house. Although I never wake up in the morning and think, "I cannot wait to get out the cleaning supplies and go to town with them!", there is a great sense of accomplishment and order when I take time to clean and organize. Our small group is reading through John Piper's Don't Waste Your Life, and in one section, he talks about the role of work in God's plan. God intended us to work, whether that work is a 9 to 5 job or keeping a house or taking care of children.

I have no doubt God purposed us to work not only to be part of the order of this world and to contribute to the furthering of his kingdom through the work we do, but also to allow us a physical outlet for our spiritual self. There has been much weighing on my spirit lately, and, strange as it may seem, cleaning out the bathroom cabinet yesterday gave me a sense of rest and peace.

This reminds me that heaven will not a boring, idle place. We will have much to do, and it will be a joy to do it, working for the great King and doing all for His glory.

Comments

  1. I always clean when I get upset. There is something satisfying about seeing the difference you can make even when you can't control other things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts