Saturday Snippets

I have missed my last two Tidbits Tuesday, the first because we were on vacation, and the second because I spent all my blogging energy on posting about said vacation.  To catch up, I here's a little Saturday Snippets for your reading (and my blogging) pleasure.

  • I spent a little time this afternoon changing my blog.  I was sick of orange, so I went back to blue and birds, which seems to be my default.  I like how it turned out, so it will do for awhile until I can create something I love.  
  • Baking exploits have gone so-so lately.  The homemade ice cream on the Fourth of July was a great recipe except for the fact that we found it too sweet.  I tried to make a caramel sauce to top ice cream and made soft caramel instead...not exactly what I was going for.  In fact, once it hardened, it looked disgusting, as if a layer of lard (which I did not use) found its way to the surface.  Behold the mess:
  • Attempt to fix above mess and make toffee bars with chocolate and sea salt failed, as in the last  fraction of a second the mixture burned.  Oh well...
  • We have spent lots of time in my parents' pool lately.  Hot summers aren't so bad if you have some water to enjoy.  How have you stayed cool?
  • I put in an application to substitute teach for this next school year.  I still want to add more piano students, but it will be nice to have the option to make a little extra money in the meantime.  No doubt there will be more on this if it all works out.
  • As usual, we're planting and gardening.  Lavender, zinnias, coneflowers, and more will be making their blog debut sometime soon.  Tomatoes are doing well (somehow I've avoided the horrible tomato worm that nearly destroyed my mom's crop), and peppers are coming along just beautifully!  My baby pumpkin vines have been planted, and their siblings found homes in seven other people's yards!  I still have two left to give away...yours if you want one :)
  • VBS starts next week, so I am in New York mode!  Our theme is the Big Apple.  Too bad the only piece of clothing I bought while in NY last year was a sweatshirt.  Don't think I'll be sporting that while I'm getting my groove on as the music leader.
Have a happy Saturday.  We're off to watch the Green Lantern with the Gimlin's.  I'll let you know how it is!

Comments

  1. Hey Can, I LOVE the new blog look. So sad your culinary ventures didn't work out. Hope you have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can! What do I do about the blasted worms!? Are you just lucky or do you have a method? They aren't the big uglies with a little horn (you know?) they are teense-I can hardly even see them so as to smash them! Help!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts