Creamy Vanilla Puddin'

As much as I am a fan of delicious dark chocolate, I have a hard time passing up a creamy vanilla anything - pudding, custard, cake batter :) My husband, on the other hand, finds anything that is plain ol' vanilla simply not worth his time or calories. Just kidding - he could care less about calories. But really, he'd rather go without dessert (!!!) than have a vanilla cupcake or some vanilla pudding.

Usually, I make chocolate desserts for him, and we're both happy. But sometimes I remain completely selfish and make vanilla pudding just for me. I eat it warm, straight off the stove, plain or with whipped cream or with a bit of chocolate shavings.

There is no shortage of vanilla pudding recipes, but I do like this one very much, and it's easy with a little bit of richness added to it with the egg. I also toss in a tablespoon of butter at the end, along with the vanilla extract. (Because, honestly, who has vanilla beans just lying around?) The recipe comes from Smitten Kitchen.

2 2/3 c milk (divide it into two)
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c cornstarch
1/4 t salt
2 t of vanilla (or 1/2 vanilla bean)
1 large egg

Bring 2 cups of the milk to a boil in a medium saucepan. Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a bowl. Whisk in the remaining 2/3 cup milk, then the egg, into the sugar/cornstarch/salt mixture. Once the milk is boiling, add it to the mixture slowly, whisking the whole time.  Return it back to the saucepan, stirring constantly with a spatula, for one minute. Take it off the heat and stir in the vanilla and butter. Pour into dishes and refrigerate. Or just dig in.
Photobucket

Comments

  1. ooh I love me some pudding! vanilla custard - yes please! have you ever tried using vanilla bean paste? I bought some for a recipe but wound up not making it and have been pondering what to use it in. I guess you can straight substitute for vanilla extract but I bet it would make this pudding a little richer! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call, Marisa! I've looked at vanilla paste but have never purchased any. But it's true that those little bean flecks would have been perfect in this pudding, so it'd be worth trying!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts