Advent

Willow Nativity Set
A couple of months ago, I received an small Advent devotional in the mail called "The Story of God with Us." (Free, I might add. Anyone else get this? Pretty neat.) I tucked it away and pulled it out this past weekend, but had yet to sit and read through the Scriptures until this morning.

It has not been an easy couple of weeks. Oh, there have been wonderful moments, top of the list being time with my family, especially Chels and Roger who won't be here for Christmas. But my heart has been heavy. The heart of our entire community has been heavy.

So this morning, when I finally heard the words of truth this season reminding me that God sent His son to save us––save us from sin, from darkness, from pain, from evil––and give us abundant light-filled life instead, I was overwhelmed with the goodness and glory of God. Praise God for loving us and saving us!

I was reminded, as well, that when I am weighed down because of the brokenness in the world, I am not helpless, as I often feel. I can pray.

Here are the first week's readings. Each one of us (whether we recognize it or not) is desperate for this life-giving truth.

December 1st: God with Us (Isaiah 11:1-5, Isaiah 7:14; Luke 3:32; Matthew 1:18-23)
December 2nd: Take Refuge in Him (Psalm 2:7-12; Matthew 3:17)
December 3rd: A Covenant for the People (Isaiah 42:1-7; Matthew 12:18-21; Luke 2:32)
December 4th: The Holy One of Israel, Your Savior (Isaiah 43:1-13; Acts 4:12)
December 5th: A Light for the Gentiles (Isaiah 49:1-7; Luke 2:29-32, Acts 13:47)
December 6th: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:2-7; Luke 1:32-33)
December 7th: The Lord Has Comforted His People (Isaiah 52:7-15; Luke 4:14-15; Revelation 1:5)

Do you have any specials ways you celebrate the Advent season? I'd love to hear them.
Photobucket

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts